Episode 56: Dean Sutton
Alex and Drew open the show talking about interview protocols and discuss the book Drew is reading: Cracking the Coding Interview: 189 Programming Questions and Solutions, by Gayle Laakmann McDowell. They review hightlights from the previous week's meetups in the Vancouver tech scene, then Alex talks about progress and encountering rabbit holes with learning to code from her blog currently hosted on Medium. They also discuss drawbacks (bloat) and benefits of software, including how awesome the Jet Brains IntelliJ IDEA IDE is.
Our guest this week is Dean Sutton. Dean is the CEO and Co-founder of Insight Diagnostics which is a medical technology company from Vancouver and speaks about the projects they're working on and the process of fundraising. Dean believes in developing technologies, companies and movements that truly matter. He's focused on building health technologies, clean energy and early stage technology development. Dean recommends a few resources if you're just getting started: read Lean Startup by Eric Reise, go out to meetups and events and speak to Universities about their recent or upcoming grads in the fields and technology you're looking to pursue.
Dean supports the Vancouver startup / technology scene from a founders perspective and is providing guidance and support through Farmteam and has provided early stage financing for startups through resources such as Wavefront, Creative Destruction Labs and many more. Dean is also looking for technical talent with health tech experience to join his team, so if you're on the hunt, reach out to him by email or on twitter @DeanSutton.
Meetups for the week of December 12th
- Git Help! and 0-Tech - Exploring Git and 0-Tech Approaches! (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- VanTUG (Vancouver Technology User Group) Pub Night with Pierre Roman - Server 2016 and containers in the MS Universe (Yaggers Downtown (back room), 433 West Pender Street) 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Hack Space (#104 - 1715 Cook St.) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM *meet-up full, for information only
- Vancouver Linux Users Group - General Meeting - Michael Vonn, BCCLA (SFU Downtown, 515 West Hastings St., Room 1500) 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Vancouver Startup Founder 101 - Female Founder Online Demo Day: Watch Presentations from Up-and-Coming Startups (online webinar) 9:30 AM
- Vancouver Hackspace Open House (104 - 1715 Cook St) 7:30 PM
- Vancouver Linux Desktop (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Pluralsight Study Group (PNI, 100 - 425 Carrall) 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Ionic Vancouver - Ionic 1 to 2 Migration Strategies, Tips, and Examples (Lighthouse Labs, #350 - 128 West Hastings St.) 6:00 PM
- Vancouver OpenStack Meetup - Let's install DevStack on an Intel NUC and raffle it off! (Granville @ 11th Street, 3rd Floor, 2608 Granville St.) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- VanBUG - FreeBSD 11 - What's New & What's Changed (SFU Harbour Centre, 515 West Hastings St, 1530 Canadian Pacific Lecture Room) 7:00 PM
- Vancouver Lean Coffee (Nelson the Seagull, 315 Carrall St.) 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- DDD/CQRS/ES Practitioners (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- Vancouver Windows Platform Developers Group, People, Process, Tools – The Essence of DevOps (with Richard Campbell) (Microsoft Canada Excellence Centre 7th floor - 725 Granville St.) 6:00 PM
- Learn Data Science by Doing Kaggle Competitions: Galaxy Zoo (SFU Harbour Centre - Room 7000, 515 W. Hastings St.) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- VPC CodeCore Demo Day - September 2016 Cohort (CodeCore, 142 West Hastings) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Vancouver Clojure (CodeCore, 142 West Hastings) 6:00 PM to 9:00
- December Full Indie @ The Pint(The Pint Public House, 455 Abbott St.) 6:30 PM
- VanDev: Vancouver's Software Developers Network - Halite.io Competition (UBC Robson Square C550, 800 Robson St.) 6:45 PM to 9:30 PM
- Vancouver Music Software Meetup Max/MSP and open discussion/lightning talks (The Network Hub, 422 Richards St) 7:00 PM
- BC Tech Grub in the Hub (887 Great Northern Way) 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- 9CAT.NET Tech & Startup Weekly (950 - 777 Hornby St.) 6:30 PM
- Vancouver Internet Technology Talents Networking @ 9CAT - 2016 Annually Meetup Lunch (needs a location) 10:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Credit for audio engineering to Anthony Morris
The Vancouver Tech Podcast is a weekly show focusing on the growing tech industry in the city of Vancouver. Get caught up on the events and meetups around town, startups, new businesses, developers, designers, community programs, and news. Each episode includes an interview with an outstanding member of our community.