Episode 60: Rob Bucci of STAT Analytics
Alex & Drew open the show talking about workplace dynamics and whether it's appropriate to use the term "guys". Drew talks about his company's new onboarding process which includes using automating testing and seed data. They discuss Alex's coding progress (tutorials and reading up on Git and node.js) which she talks about further in her blog and meetups around town they attended last week: DDD/CQRS/ES, Code and Coffee and the inaugural Women Who Code (Vancouver) event.
Highlighted Meetups Around Town Alex and Drew are looking forward to this week are the Vancouver Tech Meetup which Drew is hosting on January 23rd at Beanworks, Istuary Innovation Group, Vancouver Erlang & Elixir, Vancouver Futurists and DDD/CQRS/ES Meetups.
Our guest this week is Rob Bucci of STAT Search Analytics. We start out talking about Rob’s foray into learning to code and his first project which led to developing his first company STAT Search Analytics which creates the ability for their customers to track the visibility of search content and helps them determine what their data means.
STAT is a company that values personality, empathy, drive and learning agility and which puts people first. The company culture has emerged over time and each new hire adds to the team values base and they're hiring! The company is looking for a Software Development Manager and Web App Team Lead and other roles, which you can check out on their careers page.
STAT is planning more advanced projects in data science and promoting more travel and opportunities to go to conferences for their team in 2017. Upcoming meetups hosted by STAT in their Mezzanine space are Inbound Marketing Vancouver on January 31st and Data Pipelines and Distributed Systems on February 23rd. Their space is also available for hosting tech meetups.
Alex is committed to promoting gender parity this year in the podcast so if you’re a woman in tech and would like to be part of the show, please reach out!
Specialisterne Canada and their global partner SAP are now hiring for 12-month paid-internships with no formal experience required, for people with autism in Vancouver for roles including Junior developers, Product support engineers and Sales operations & Reporting analysts.
For more information about the recruitment process and to apply:
Meetups Around Town
Monday, January 23
- Git Help! and 0-Tech (436 West Pender) 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Tech Meetup Contributing to Open Source: debugger.html (Beanworks Solutions Inc., #300 - 311 W. Pender St.) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Tuesday, January 24
- Istuary Innovation Group - SR&ED Funding 101 (7/F, 1125 Howe St.) 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- VPC - How To Find Your Ideal Cofounder (Spring #90 - 425 Carrall St.) 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM
- Vancouver Erlang & Elixir Meetup (Code Core, 142 W. Hastings St) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Vancouver Azure Intro to Microsoft Cognitive Services (Microsoft, 1110 - 1111 W. Georgia St.) 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Hack Space - Weekly Open house (#104-1715 Cook St.) 7:30 PM
Wednesday, January 25
- Vancouver Hack Space Open Hours (lukecyca) (#104 - 1715 Cook St) 1:00 PM
- Vancouver Linux Desktop Meetup (436 W Pender St) 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- VPC Startup Ladies Night (Launch Academy, 300 - 128 W. Hastings St) 5:30 PM
- Vancouver Pluralsight Study Group (100 - 425 Carrall St) 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- .NET User Group of BC - Native Docker Containers in Windows 10 (BCIT Burnaby Campus, Building SW1, Room 1025, 3700 Willingdon Ave) 6:15 PM
- VPC Investing 101: Discussing Finance, The January Edition (Unbounce Event Space, 4th floor, 401 W. Georgia St.) 6:15 PM
- Canada Futurists: Vancouver 2017 Predictions Discussion (The Studio at Creative Coworkers, Unit 10 - 343 Railway St) 6:30 PM
- Vancouver Growth Hackers and VPC - How to Improve Conversions w/ Split Testing + Submit Your Site for Live Feedback (STAT Search Analytics, 704 Alexander St) 6:30 to 9:00 PM
Thursday, January 26
- DDD/CQRS/ES Practitioners (436 West Pender St) 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- VPC Build in Canada Innovation Program for Startups (Launch Academy, 300-128 W. Hastings St.) 5:30 PM
- Learn Data Science by Doing Kaggle Competitions: Plankton (SFU Harbour Centre - Room 1505, 515 W. Hastings St) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- VPC Startup Drinks Vancouver (131 Water St. - Kitchen & Bar) 6:00 PM
- Ladies that UX Vancouver Adobe XD talk with senior product manager, Joan Lafferty (Unbounce, #400 - 401 W. Georgia) 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Clojure - Hacknight (142 W Hastings St) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- VanDev: Vancouver's Software Developers Network Making a Hash of Things (UBC Robson Square C550, 800 Robson St) 6:45 PM to 9:30 PM
Friday, January 27
- Vancouver Technology Leaders Independent Security Consultant Lunch (needs a location) 12:00 PM
- Vancouver Drupal Users Group - Drupal Sprint Weekend 2017 (The Jibe, #202-311 Water St) 5:30 PM to Saturday January 28, 5:30 PM
- Vancouver Internet Technology Talents Networking @ 9CAT.NET Tech & Startup Weekly (Unit 950 - 777 Hornby St.) (call 604-440-1433 / 778-927-3746 to get you in) 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Sunday, January 29
- Vancouver Hack Space Intro to Soldering Workshop (101) (Vancouver Hack Space, #104 - 1715 Cook St) 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
The Vancouver Tech Podcast is a weekly show focusing on the growing tech industry in the city of Vancouver. Get caught up on the events and meetups around town, startups, new businesses, developers, designers, community programs, and news. Each episode includes an interview with an outstanding member of our community.