Episode 49: Launch Academy
Drew and guest co-host Alexandra Moxin talk about what qualifies someone as a senior software developer vs. intermediate or junior and how that changes depending on company, product, project and type of skills required. They also touch on project management, event storming, learning to code, meetups around town, then interview Hussein from Launch Academy and the Vancouver Pixel Crafters Meetup group.
Our guest this week is Hussein Hallak of Launch Academy where he is the General Manager an active mentor, instructor, entrepreneur and community builder. Hussein currently facilitates the Vancouver Pixel Crafters meetup.
The interview covers topics from why it’s important to have a supportive network where you’re challenged and supported and recovering from failure and how it’s an integral part of the learning process.
- Discussion: When Should You Call Yourself a Senior Developer - via StackExchange.com
- Discussion: The Difference Between Senior and Junior Developers - via Reddit
Meetups for the week of October 24th
- Git Help! & 0-Tech (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Rust (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 5:30 PM
- Vancouver Hack Space (#104 - 1715 Cook St) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Net Squared Vancouver: Tech4Good (Hive Vancouver, #210 - 128 West Hastings) 6:00 PM
- Information Architecture & Content Strategy (Unbounce, 400 - 401 W Georgia) 6:00 PM
- VPC Open Coffee (Nelson the Seagull, 315 Carrall St) 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM
- Vancouver Clojure (CodeCore, 142 West Hastings) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- TechVancouver (BC Tech Innovation Hub, 887 Great Northern Way) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Vancouver Robot Operating System Users Group (Only Shown to Members) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- PyLadies Vancouver (Salesforce, suite 710 - 375 Water St.) 6:00 PM
- Vancouver Product Managers (Clio, 4611 Canada Way, Burnaby) 6:30 PM
- Vancouver Creative Technology (685 Great Northern Way) 7:00 PM
- Vancouver Hackspace Open House (104 - 1715 Cook St) 7:30 PM
- Public Cloud Users Group (Fairmont Hotel, 900 W Georgia) 8:30 AM
- Vancouver Linux Desktop (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Pluralsight Study Group (PNI, 100 - 425 Carrall) 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
- Learn Data Science (SFU VentureLabs, Harbour Centre #1200 - 555 West Hastings) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- ReactJS Vancouver (Microsoft, 700 – 725 Granville St) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Vancouver Digital Project Managers (Rival Schools, 46 West 6th Ave) 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Vancouver Azure (Microsoft 11th floor, 1100-1111 Georgia St) 6:00 PM
- Ladies that UX Vancouver (Unbounce 400 - 401 W Georgia) 6:00 PM
- VanDev: Vancouver Software Developers Network (UBC Robson Square, C550 - 800 Robson) 6:45 to 9:30 PM
- Alt Games Vancouver (The Lennox Pub, 800 Granville) 7:00 PM
- Vancouver Lean Coffee (Nelson the Seagull, 315 Carrall) 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM
- Oracle Developer Day (Cinematheque, 1131 Howe St) 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
- DDD/CQRS/ES Practitioners (DCTL, 436 West Pender) 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
- VanQ (TriNimbus, Suite 280 - 1401 West 8th) 6:00 PM
- VPC Startup Drinks (131 Water St.) 6:00 PM
- Code & Coffee (CodeCore, 142 West Hastings) 6:30 - 8:30 PM
- UBC Tech CEO Dinner Night (Biercraft Wesbrook at UBC, 3340 Shrum Lane) 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Registration at 5:30 PM)
- TedXGastownWomen (The Imperial, 319 Main St) 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Credit to Anthony Morris for this week's audio engineering!
The Vancouver Tech Podcast is a weekly show focusing on the growing tech industry in the city of Vancouver. Get caught up on the events and meetups around town, startups, new businesses, developers, designers, community programs, and news. Each episode includes an interview with an outstanding member of our community.